Tamil Nadu gears up to be Plastic Free, announces ban on one time use and throwaway plastics effective from 1st January, 2019
After the Government of Maharashtra, now the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu has recently announced a ban on the manufacture, storage, supply, sale and use of ‘one time use and throw away plastics’ irrespective of thickness, effective from 1st January, 2019. The Department of Environment and Forest, Tamil Nadu (Department) has defined the term ‘use and throwaway plastics’ as the items such as plastic carry bags or plastic flags, plastic sheets used for food wrapping, spreading on dining table etc., plastic plates, plastic coated tea cups and plastic tumbler, water pouches and packets, plastic straw irrespective of thickness.
As per the Directions issued by the Department:
- No industry or person shall manufacture, store, supply, transport, sale or distribute, ‘use and throwaway plastics’.
- No person including shopkeeper, vendor, wholesaler, retailer, trader, hawker or salesman shall use, ‘use and throwaway plastics’.
The State of Tamil Nadu has introduced the directives in sync with Article 48-A of the of the Constitution of India which mandates the State to protect and improve the environment and recognizing health hazards caused by plastic carry bags, plastic sheets used for food wrapping, spreading on dining table etc. Further plastic plates, plastic coated tea cups and plastic tumbler, water pouches and packets, plastic straw and plastic flags have caused serious environmental health problems amongst human beings, plants and animals as well as causing blockage of sewers and drains polluting the water bodies. With a view to salvage the current hazards and prevent future occurrences, the State Government has announced the ban on manufacture, storage, supply, sale and use of ‘one time use and throw away plastics’ irrespective of thickness.
The following items have been excluded from the ban:
- Plastic bags manufactured exclusively for export purpose against any export order in the plastic industry located in Special Economic Zone or Export Oriented Units.
- Plastic bags which are used in the packaging of goods which are sealed before use at manufacturing/processing units.
- Plastic bags and sheets permitted by Government orders for use in Forestry and Horticulture nurseries.
- Plastic bags used for packing of milk and milk products, oil, medicine and medicine equipment.
- Carry bags made from compostable plastics bearing a label ‘compostable’ and conforming to the Indian Standard: IS or ISO 17088:2008 titled as Specifications for “Compostable Plastics”.