Ministry of Steel introduces the Draft Safety Code for Iron and Steel Sector ; emphasizes on protecting workers in the iron and steel industry from workplace hazards and to prevent work-related injuries and incidents
The Ministry of Steel (“Ministry”) has introduced the Draft Safety Code for Iron and Steel Sector (“Code”) with the primary aim of protecting workers in the iron and steel industry from workplace hazards and to preventing work-related injuries and incidents.
Background of the Code:
Steel is a product of large and technologically complex industry having strong forward and backward linkages in terms of material flows and income generation. It is also one of the most important products of the modern world and of strategic importance to any industrial nation. From construction, industrial machinery to consumer products, steel has a wide array of applications. It is also an industry with diverse technologies based on the nature and extent of raw materials used.
In view of the above the Ministry has proposed to set up an Iron & Steel Safety Directorate to support various companies in different sectors of Steel Making in India in moving towards global best practices for safety and shift the current mindset from focus on “production” to “safe production”.
Objectives of the Code:
- Protecting workers in the iron and steel industry from workplace hazards and to prevent work-related injuries and incidents.
- Assisting and facilitating the improved management of occupational safety issues at the workplace.
- Improving knowledge and competence.
- Promoting the implementation and integration of consistent OSH management systems with a view to improving working conditions.
Scope of work of the Code:
The scope of work covers safety code in Iron and Steel sector which includes:
- Integrated steel plant (Plants having all range of activities from receiving of Raw material to dispatch of finished product including auxiliary facilities like power plant, oxygen plant, etc.)
- Mini Steel Plant / Processing Units (Mini Blast Furnaces, Electric Arc Furnace, Induction furnace Sponge iron plant, Pellet Plants, Re-rollers, independent hot & cold rolling, galvanizing and tin plating units, Steel Foundry & Forge, Ferro Alloys Plant, Stainless & Alloy Steel Plant, etc.)
- Project /Construction activities in steel industry.
These Safety Codes should will provide guidance in accordance with the provisions of national laws and regulations:
- All those government authorities, workers’ and employers’ organizations and industry associations, whether legislative or advisory, whose activities influence the Occupational Safety & Working Conditions and welfare of workers in the Iron and Steel industry.
- All those individuals at the level of the iron and steel-making facilities, i.e. employers, persons in control of premises, and workers and contractors, as appropriate to their duties and responsibilities for safety and working condition.
The following are the safety codes for the Iron and Steel Sector:
- Safety Code on Storage, handling & use of gas cylinders
- Safety Code for Working at Height
- Safety Code for Working in a Confined Space
- Safety Code for Permit to Work (Operation & Maintenance)
- Safety Code for Illumination at workplace
- Safety Code for Lance cutting
- Safety Code for Gas cutting & Gas Welding
- Safety Code for Arc Welding & Arc Cutting
- Safety Code for Equipment and Machinery guarding
- Safety Code for Hydraulic System
- Safety Code for Barricading
- Safety Code for Demolition of Building and Structure
- Safety Code for Material handling (manual and mechanized) & storage
- Safety Code for work on Electric Overhead Travelling (EOT) Crane
- Safety Code for Electrical safety
- Safety Code for Fire Safety
- Safety Code during Excavation
- Safety Code for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Management
- Safety Code on Operation and Maintenance of Conveyor Belts
- Safety Code for Oxygen & Nitrogen Gas line
- Safety Code for handling fuel gas
- Safety Code for Energy isolation
- Safety Code for Safe handling of Liquid Metal
- Safety Code for Transportation in steel industry
- Safety Code for Loco Operation
Source: Ministry of Steel