Ministry of Labour and Employment directs use of Aadhaar for availing Housing Subsidy benefit
In exercise of Section 7 of Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016 (“Act”), the Ministry of Labour and Employment, vide a notification dated 30th January, 2017 (“Notification”), notifies use of Aadhaar for availing benefits under the following schemes:
- Housing Subsidy to Beedi Workers;
- Housing Subsidy to Iron, Manganese or Chrome Ore Workers;
- Housing Subsidy to Lime Stone and Dolomite Workers; and
- Housing Subsidy to Cine workers
Therefore, in all states except the States of Assam, Meghalaya and Jammu and Kashmir, following must be complied with for availing benefits under the Housing Subsidy:
- An individual desirous of receiving Housing Subsidy benefit under the schemes listed above is required to furnish proof of possession of Aadhaar or undergo Aadhaar authentication.
- An individual desirous of receiving Housing Subsidy benefit under the schemes listed above and is not yet enrolled for Aadhaar is hereby required to make an application for Aadhaar enrolment, in case he is entitled to obtain Aadhaar as per the provisions of section 3 of the said Act and such individuals may visit any Aadhaar enrolment centre (list available at (https://uidai.gov.in/new/) to get enrolled for Aadhaar.
However, until, an Aadhaar Card is assigned to the individual, Housing Subsidy benefit under the schemes listed above shall be given to such individuals subject to the production of the following documents:
A. (i) Worker Identity card;
(ii) if he has enrolled, his Aadhaar Enrolment ID slip; or
(iii) a copy of his request made for Aadhaar enrolment, as required under the Act.
B. Identity proofs as under––
(i) Voter identity card issued by the Election Commission of India; or
(ii) Permanent Account Number Card issued by the Income Tax Department; or
(iii) Passport or
(iv)Driving license issued by the Licensing Authority under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 (59 of 1988); or
(v) Certificate of identity having photo of such member issued by a Gazetted Officer or a Tehsildar on an official letter head; or (vi) Any other document specified by the State Government.