District Magistrate of Chandigarh directs companies, having pick and drop facilities for employees to abide by certain conditions to ensure safety of women employees; Order valid till 12th September, 2019
The Office of the District Magistrate, Chandigarh (“Office”), has through an Order dated 15th July, 2019, directed organizations, companies, firms etc., providing facility of pick and drop to their employees, to abide by certain conditions to ensure safety of the employees, especially women employees, working till late hours, effective immediately.
This Order will remain valid till 12th September 2019.
All organizations, providing such pick and drop facility, and the transporters, security agencies/guards, drivers etc. concerned must ensure the following:
- Maintenance of data of all employees, security personnel, cab drivers and contractual workers working with them, for access by the Police as and when required.
- Hire of security personnel and other contractual personnel as far as possible from licensed agencies only.
- Verification of antecedents of all their employees including contractual employees.
- Women employees are not made to travel alone with the cab driver and a duly verified security guard or a male colleague is deployed in each cab carrying women staff during night hours, i.e., 08.00 PM to 7.00 AM.
- The route is chosen in such manner that as far as possible a woman employee is not the first one to be picked up or the last to be dropped
- During night hours, the cab involved in transportation or women employee’s pick-up and drop such employee right in their house and remain halted at the point where the women employee is dropped till, she confirms her arrival at their residence / pace of stay through a telephone call.
- Whenever the house of a woman employee is so located that the approach road is not motorable, the duly verified security guard or the male colleague, during night hour, accompanies the employee on foot up to her house and takes a confirmation about her safe arrival.
- Exercise of effective check and control on the vehicles movement in order to check any unwarranted activities of the cab drivers, such as picking up strangers, straying away from the designated route, etc.
- GPS system is installed in the cabs used in transportation of such employees, especially women employees.
As some organizations are functioning round the clock, the employers are providing cab services for the purpose of picking and dropping employees from their residence to office and back.
Such cabs, ferrying employees, including women employees, even at late night hours, are usually hired on contract and their operators and drivers are often not properly monitored to ensure safe and secure transportation of employees, resulting in grave danger to human life, safety and security of employees, especially women employees.
Keeping this in view, the Office found it necessary that some kind of check was necessary on such companies / organizations / employers providing pick and drop facility to their employees in late night hours, and the transporters, security agencies / guards and drivers concerned so as to ensure the security and safety of employees, especially women employees working till late hours.