DIPP issues the Electrical Capacitors (Quality Control) Order, 2017 w.e.f. 1st February, 2018
In a recent Notification dated 1st August, 2017, the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (“DIPP”) has issued the Electrical Capacitors (Quality Control) Order, 2017 (“Order”).
This order will come into effect from 1st February, 2018.
This Order is applicable to dealers and manufacturers of the electrical capacitors.
Key Highlights of the Order:
- The Order defines ‘electrical capacitors’ as items specified in the Schedule annexed to the Order. Therefore, the following items are considered as electrical capacitors:
|Sl. No.||IS No.||Title|
|1||IS 2993||A.C. motor capacitors|
|2||IS 13340||Power Capacitors of Self-healing Type for AC Power Systems having Rated Voltage up to 650 V|
|3||IS 13585 Part I||Shunt Power Capacitors of the Non-Self – Healing Type for AC Systems having a Rated Voltage up to and Including 1000 V
Part 1 general Performance, Testing and Rating Safety Requirements Guide for installation and Operation
- The Order defines the term ‘dealer’ as a person who, or a firm or a Hindu Undivided Family which, carries on, directly or otherwise, the business of manufacturing, buying, selling, supplying or distributing the products electrical capacitors and accessories, whether in cash or for deferred payment or for commission, remuneration or other valuable consideration.
- The Order defines the term ‘manufacturer‘as a person who, or a firm or a Hindu undivided family which produces, makes, manufacturers electrical capacitors and includes a person who, or a firm or Hindu undivided family which claims electrical capacitors to be produced, made, manufactured by any such person or firm or Hindu undivided family.
- All manufacturers and dealers of electrical capacitors are required to make an application to theBureaufor obtaining license for the use of the Standard Mark.
- All manufacturers and dealers would be required to furnish such information and samples of any such electrical capacitors which may be required by the appropriate authority.
- The Order prohibits manufacture, import, store or store for sale, sell or distribute any electrical capacitors, which do not conform to the specified standards and do not bear Standard Mark of the Bureau. The defective electrical capacitors which do not conform to the specified standard must be identified and destroyed beyond use within 1 month from the date of its manufacture.