Delhi Pollution Control Committee announces list of ‘Approved Fuels’, brings in cleaner fuels like BS-VI petrol and diesel, CNG, LPG, aviation turbine fuel and Biogas
In a recent Notification dated 29th June, 2018, the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (“DPCC”) has indicated the list of “Approved Fuels” applicable to the whole of National Capital Territory of Delhi.
The Notification mentions that it is to be published in Part IV of the Delhi Gazette – Extraordinary.-
As per Section 2(d) of the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 “Approved Fuels” – means any fuel approved by the State Board for the purposes of this Act.
As per Section 19(3) of the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981, “if the State Government, after consultation with the State Board, is of opinion that the use of any fuel, other than an approved fuel, in any air pollution control area or part thereof, may cause or is likely to cause air pollution, it may, by notification in the Official Gazette, prohibit the use of such fuel in such area or part thereof with effect from such date (being not less than three months from the date of publication of the notification) as may be specified in the notification.”
In the light of Section 19(3), the Delhi Pollution Control Board (DPCC) has recently released the list of “Approved Fuels”, which are as follows:
- Petrol (BS VI with 10 ppm Sulphur)
- Diesel (BS VI with 10 ppm Sulphur)
- Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG)
- Natural Gas/Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
- Aviation Turbine Fuel
- Firewood for cremations and for other religious purposes, Wood Charcoals for restaurants and eateries and for ironing clothes
- Refused Derived Fuels (Applicable to Waste to Energy Plants)
- Clean Fuels as notified by the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi/Government of India
- Besides above, Coal with low Sulphur (less than 0.4%) permitted for use in the Thermal Power Plants only.
- All other fuels will be deemed “unapproved” and so disallowed for use of NCT of Delhi.
- Existing Industries/Units shall convert/ switch over from their existing fuels to the above mentioned Approved Fuels within 90 days from the date of issue of this Notification.
Please refer to the hyperlink for further details regarding the same.