WB Labour Department fixes minimum rates of wages payable to the employees employed in engineering units employing less than 50 persons
The Labour Department, Government of West Bengal (“Government”), through a notification dated 24th December, 2019, has fixed the minimum rates of wages payable to the employees employed in engineering units employing less than 50 persons, in the State of West Bengal (“WB”).
The proposal to fix the same was published through a notification inviting objections and suggestions, dated 8th March, 2019.
The Minimum Monthly Rates of Wages for unskilled workers is set at Rs. 7486 (for Zone A- Areas under Municipal Corporations, Municipalities, Notified Areas/Authorities, Development Authorities, Thermal Power Plants including Township areas) and at Rs. 6772 for the rest of WB.
Key Implications on the Employer:
- The Minimum rates of Wages will be adjusted half-yearly both upward and downward and be paid from 1st January and from 1st July of each year on the basis of half yearly average Consumer Price Index Number for the period from April to September and October to March respectively.
- The final calculation of wages will be done after rounding off to nearest rupee.
- There will be no adjustment of Minimum rates of wages below the fixation points.
- To arrive at daily rates, divide monthly rates by 26 and round off to the nearest rupee; to arrive at weekly rates, multiply such daily rate with 6.
- A normal working day will consist of eight hours of actual work and not less than half an hour of recess, subject to a maximum of 48 hours of actual work in a week.
- One day in any period of seven days as may suit the local convenience will have to be the day of weekly rest.
- The Minimum rates of Wages will include the wages for weekly day of rest and payment for work done on the day of weekly rest and for work done beyond the normal working hours shall be double than the ordinary rate of wages.
- If the existing rates of wages of any employee based on contract or agreement or otherwise are higher than the given rates, the higher rates will be protected and treated as Minimum wages applicable for the purpose of this notification for such employees.
- The Minimum rates of wages are applicable to employees employed by contractors also.
- The Minimum rates of wages for disabled persons shall be same as payable to the workers of appropriate category.
- Both men and women employees shall be paid same rates of wages for the same work or work of similar nature.