Tripura Labour Department allows shops and establishments to operate on prescribed holidays subject to conditions
The Tripura Labour Department (“Department”) has issued a notification dated 12th April, 2017 (“Notification”) exempting all shops and establishments in the State from complying with the provisions of Section 5(1), Section 6(1) and Section 6(4) under the Tripura Shops and Establishments Act, 1970 (“Act”) on specific dates/occasions.
By virtue of the notification, Shop Keeper/ Employer are exempted from certain compliances such as opening and closing hours, providing intervals of rest, etc. on the prescribed holidays, subject to the following conditions:
- The Shop-Keeper/Employer can avail such exemption, only if they pay overtime wages to the employees.
- Shops availing such exemption do not open before 8:00am or close later than 10:00 pm on any day during the period of exemption granted.
[Please note that:
– Section 5(1) prescribes at least one day and half next preceding or next following such day, in a week as a holiday in shops and commercial establishment;
– Section 6 (1) provides for opening and closing hours of shop;
– Section 6(4) prescribes intervals of rest for persons employed in a shop.]
The list of holidays is attached along with this mail.
Source: Tripura Labour Department