Goa Transport Department issues SOP for validating driving licences, registration certificate and other transport related documents, goes tech savvy; effective 17.12.2018
The Department of Transport, Government of Goa (“Department”) has issued the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for validating Driving Licence, Registration Certificate and other transport related documents/ information presented in Electronic form thorough IT or mobile app platform by a notification dated 17th December,2018.
As per recent amendment dated 2nd November, 2018 of Rule 139 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules,1989- Production of licence and certificate of registration and, section 4 of the IT Act, 2000 i.e. Legal recognition of electronic records, the Department has issued clarifications on certain issues:
- The owner/driver must produce the documents to the authority on demand.
- The data related to the insurance of new vehicles and renewal of insurance of vehicles now reflects the mParivahan/ eChallan app.
- The Driving Licence, Registration certificate, Fitness validity, Insurance validity, Permit validity of the citizen are available on real time basis on the mParivahan mobile app by entering the Driving Licence Number in case of the Driving Licence details or the Registration Number for Details pertaining to the vehicles.
- mParivahan is available to each citizen whereas, the eChallan is only available to enforcement officers from the Transport Department or the Police Department.
- The electronic records available on DigiLocker or mParivahan are deemed to be legally recognised at par with the original documents as per the provisions of the Information Technology Act, 2000.
- If the online virtual copy of DLIRC (along with QR Code) or any other updated validity status (like Insurance, Tax, Permit, PUC etc.) is not available on mParivahan or DigiLocker app carried by the user, then the relevant paper documents must be present with the user.
Standard Operating Procedure (SoP) for validating information or impounding the document(s) in Electronic Form by the enforcement agencies have been issued, such as:
- Validation of documents produced in an Electronic form:
- The process flow under the eChallan app for generating challan and further action
- Generating Challans for violations
- Online recommendation for suspension
The benefits of opting eChallan:
- Enforcement agencies need not physically handle any document.
- Office need not maintain any inventory or record.
- No harassment for citizens to collect document after the payment of compounding fees as the challan when disposed would automatically update the record in the Database.
- Real time offence status is available to the transport and traffic enforcement officers and to the citizens.
- Fast, transparent and accountable system