FSSAI invites comments on draft amendment to conditions of license under the Licensing and Registration Regulations of 2011
In a recent notice, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has invited comments from stakeholders on the draft amendments (“proposed amendment”) to the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011 (“Principal Regulations”).
Objections / suggestions needs to be addressed to the Chief Executive Officer, Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, 03rd Floor, Food and Drug Administration Bhawan, Kotla road, New Delhi – 110002 or emailed to email@example.com within 27th September, 2017.
Key Takeaways of the proposed amendment are:
- Amendments to Annexure 2 of Schedule 2 (Documents to be enclosed for new application for license to State/Central Licensing Authority):
i. The proposed amendment exempts restaurants from submitting the following documents at the time of applying for a licence under the Principal Regulations:
- Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions in metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation.
- Name and list of equipment and machinery along with the number, installed capacity and horse power used.
- Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act – 1861/Multi State Coop Act – 2002 in case of Cooperatives.
- NOC from manufacturer in case of Re-labellers.
- Recall plan wherever applicable, with details on whom the product is distributed.
- List of food category desired to be manufactured.
2. Amendments to Annexure 3 of Schedule 2 (Conditions of License):
- The proposed amendment inserts certain conditions specifically for restaurants:
a. Display Requirement:Display a Food Display Board at all times at a prominent place in the premises.
b. Employment of a technical person to supervise production process:Employ at least one technical person or Food Safety Supervisortrained by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
c. Purchase of raw materials:Buy food raw materials only from licensed/registered vendors and maintain record thereof.
- The proposed amendment omits the following conditions of licence for food business operators:
a. Furnish periodic annual return (1st April to 31st March), within upto 31st May of each year. For collection/ handling/ manufacturing of Milk and Milk Products half yearly returns also to be furnished as specified (1st April to 31st September before 30th November and 1st October to 31st March).
b. Ensure that the source and standards of raw material used are of optimum quality.
c. Food Business Operator shall not manufacture, store or expose for sale or permit the sale of any article of food in any premises not effectively separated to the satisfaction of the licensing authority from any privy, urinal, sullage, drain or place of storage of foul and waste matter.
d. Ensure Clean-In-Place systems (wherever necessary) for regular cleaning of the machine & equipments.
iii. The proposed amendment exempts restaurants to maintain daily records of production, raw materials utilization and sales separately.