Energy and Power Department of Sikkim proposes Energy Conservation Building Code Rules, 2018; seeks to set a minimum requirement for the energy efficient design and construction of buildings
The Energy and Power Department of Sikkim, has by a notification released a draft of the Sikkim Energy Conservation Building Code Rules, 2018 (“Draft Code”) which seeks to set a minimum requirement for the energy efficient design and construction of buildings. The Draft Code has been formulated as per the cold climate of the State.
This Draft Code, enacted under the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 applies to a building which is used or intended to be used for commercial purposes, having a connected load of 40 kilo-Watt (kW) or above or a contract demand of 50 kilo-Volt Ampere (kVA) or above. Such buildings must cover the following components, namely: –
- building envelope;
- comfort systems and controls (heating, ventilation and air conditioning, service hot water system);
- lighting and controls;
- electrical and renewable energy system.
- Buildings intended for private residential purposes are not covered by the Code.
- The owner of a building will be required to submit a certificate issued by “ECBC Certified Building Energy Auditor/ Energy and Power Department Sikkim, empanelled agency or individual” confirming that the building plans conforms to the proposed Code along with supporting documents.
- The commercial building will not be occupied unless the occupancy certificate is issued to the Owner of the building.
- Every owner who intends to erect or re-erect a building or make alterations or additions in any building under this Draft Code must submit to the concerned authority for the same.
Source: Energy and Power Department