Directorate of Health Services issues guidelines for regulating the manufacture and sale of Oxytocin
In reference to the trailing email, the Directorate of Health Services, Central Drugs Standard Control Organization, has come up with the following guidelines for the purposes of implementation of the order dated May 09, 2017 of the Hon’ble High Court, Himachal Pradesh.
The guidelines can be broken down into the following parts:
- A special task force in each district of each state is to be constituted for the purpose of ascertaining that no prohibited/regulated drugs including Oxytocin is freely available.
- The State Drug Controllers shall examine the existing licenses of the manufacturers authorized to manufacture Oxytocin so as to ensure that they are in conformity with the provisions of law.
- A monthly statement of production and sales of Oxytocin by each manufacturer has to be sent to the State Drug Controllers by the 7th of each month who shall publish the same on its website on the 10th of each month.
- All wholesalers and retailers shall keep a record of all prohibited drugs including Oxytocin that are being sold by them during the course of each month and provide the details of the same to the officer employed by the State Drug Controller for the purpose of inspection during each quarter.
- Every manufacturer/wholesaler/retailer shall take all reasonable IEC activities for sensitization of the general public regarding the ill-effects of Oxytocin on humans and animals.