Bihar Government will soon impose a ban on manufacturing/importing/storing/sale or use etc. of Plastic Carry Bags
After considering the adverse effects of plastic carry bags on the environment and local ecology, the Government of Bihar felt that its usage is having a detrimental effect on the environment and human health. With this in the background, the Environment and Forest Department of Bihar has issued a draft notification which imposes a complete ban on the manufacture, import, storage, usage, transport and sale of the usage, manufacture, sell, storage, import and transport of plastic carry bags (irrespective of the their sizes and thickness).
Enforcement date: This ban is applicable in the jurisdiction of all the Municipal Corporations, Municipal Councils and Nagar Panchayats in the State of Bihar and shall come into force after 30 days from the date of its official notification.
What is banned?
- Manufacturing, importing, storing, distributing, selling, transporting or using any kinds of plastic carry bags (irrespective of the their sizes and thickness) by any person in the applicable jurisdiction.
- Prohibition on selling or storing or distributing or using any kind of plastic carry bags for the purpose of storing or distributing of any eatable or non-eatable goods or materials, by any person including a shopkeeper, vendor, wholesaler, retailer, trader, etc.
- Use of plastic bags which are less than 50 microns for the purpose of collection/storage of Bio-Medical Waste for its disposal,
- Plastic containers used for packaging food materials, milk and milk products
- Plastic used for raising plants in the nurseries.
The State Government has reserved the right to add to items to the exception list, post assessment.
The notification also reiterates the definition of “Plastic carry bags”, which has been defined under the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016.